Friday, March 6, 2009

Picture of the Day, 3-6-09

From the Los Angeles Times:

Vantha Sao and Jay Mendes

Vantha Sao, 22, works on some knitting next to spouse Jay Mendes, 41, while watching the televised California Supreme Court hearing on Proposition 8 at the West Hollywood Auditorium. The couple were married in 2008.

You know, that whole thing last week - the lies Pam Spaulding told about this blog, the gay bestiality thing - was pretty pathetic, but eye-opening.

In all of my blogging on the radical gay agenda since November 4th, the question for me has always been about postmodern ideology and the left's stormtrooper political tactics. I don't go in for attacking homosexuals for bestiality, deviance, or anything else. That said, I think this picture above, part of the Times' gay rights coverage on the "loud and colorful" from yesterday, raises serious questions about what's really at stake in the same-sex marriage debate.

I mean come on: The younger guy is KNITTING!

Actually, I'm no absolutist on stereotypical gender roles, but there's something weirdly out of sync about a male homosexual with his husband attending a public rally while knitting away on some fluffy cap or sweater. Besides, knitting's a girl's thing!

So, what does this say about marriage? Are these guys adopting? What does the son say to his "dads" while hoping to make the JV football squad at the tryouts: "Gee, 'dads,' can you leave the knitting needles in the car ... might hurt my chances with the coach, you know?"

Anyway, I'm sure I've already said enough to get into trouble with the PC hordes of the nihilist left. But let me close with a passage from David Blankenhorn on the meaning of marriage:

I reject homophobia and believe in the equal dignity of gay and lesbian love. Because I also believe with all my heart in the right of the child to the mother and father who made her, I believe that we as a society should seek to maintain and to strengthen the only human institution - marriage - that is specifically intended to safeguard that right and make it real for our children.

Legalized same-sex marriage almost certainly benefits those same-sex couples who choose to marry, as well as the children being raised in those homes. But changing the meaning of marriage to accommodate homosexual orientation further and perhaps definitively undermines for all of us the very thing - the gift, the birthright - that is marriage's most distinctive contribution to human society. That's a change that, in the final analysis, I cannot support.

Photo Credit: Los Angeles Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment